Pages

8.31.2014

Grandma


Before my dad was born, my grandparents lived in Pocatello. My grandma packed up her three kids and boarded a train to visit California. From what I understand, she had never left Idaho before. I think she was pretty brave.
I grew up with my grandma living only a few blocks away from our house. She sat two rows behind us in church and sang the hymns with gusto...extremely off key. Her nylons would rub together when she'd walk down the hall. When we went over to her house, we would play dominoes and chinese checkers, eat runny eggs, powdered milk and kool-aid. Sometimes she'd give us a little spoonful of brown sugar before she put it on her oatmeal. When we would spend the night, I'd get up early and climb in bed with her-only to be kicked out because I was too squirmy.
I have a lot of memories of my grandma...but I honestly don't know a whole lot about her.
This weekend, we're visiting with family and it's been SO much fun. I've laughed so hard my gut hurts. We've also been going through a bunch of old photos and my dad and all my aunts have been sharing story after story-all of which are new to me. I love family reunions. And I love hearing stories about my grandparents.

1 comment: