Pages

5.08.2014

Wanderlust

Last year I took a road trip. When I said goodbye to Vegas, I packed up my truck and drove around for about a month. I drove through Utah and Idaho, spent most of my time in Washington and drove down the Oregon coast. I stopped when I wanted, met a lot of cool people, spent time at different beaches and I loved every minute of it.
Sometimes when I get into my truck to go to work in the mornings, I have an urge to keep driving. Drive to the beach, turn north and not stop.
I'm a coastal baby for sure.
One of my favorite novels is Travels With Charley by John Steinbeck. I've read it four times, and every time I pick it up I want to build my own camper on top of my truck, get a dog and hit the road. There's one part in there where Steinbeck talks about how when you've been away at sea for a long time, you can feel the land calling you home. And when you've been inland too long, you can smell the sea air miles and miles before you ever see it.
I felt that way before I reached the Oregon coast. I could tell I was close. I'd been inland for over a year and my heart raced knowing I was so close to feeling sand between my toes.
Perhaps one of these days...hopefully soon...I can be on the road again.

No comments:

Post a Comment