Pages

10.08.2013

A Book Review

In Which I Assess a Written Work Glued or Sewn Together Along One Side and Bound in a Cover


"You can read? I had no idea! Good for you!!"
Thanks.
After watching a movie, ask me what I thought and I'll tell you, "I liked it". That's pretty much it. I like being entertained while double fisting handfuls of popcorn into my mouth.
When it comes to books, I'm a little more opinionated...probably because it takes more than 90 minutes to get through a novel.
So. Plus side of not having anything to do: I can read whenever, and however long I want! I finished
the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon a few weeks ago.
I honestly loved this book.
Set against the backdrop of WWII, the two heroes, Kavalier and Clay are so entangled in their own victories and catastrophes that they barely recognize that they are the ones pioneering a new art form, creating characters in their own comic books that rival that of Superman.
I feel like there was a bit of a lull towards the last quarter of the book. I found myself resisting the urge to skip over a few parts, wanting to find out what happens in the end. I skimmed through about 30 or 40 pages because I didn't see how relevant it was to the rest of the novel, and the excitement kind of wore off.
Other than that, it has definitely become one of my favorite books...beautiful, fascinating, graceful, elegant prose and definitely an entertaining plot.
Except for the 30 or 40 pages.
I'd probably put it in the list of books I'd read again someday.

Now, I'm halfway through the Moviegoer by Walker Percy. Definitely liking it so far.(Hmm, maybe I should review a book I dont like...)
I've been kind of bored through a few parts...but there are also a few passages that are beautiful and I want to read them over and over.
I see a lot of similarities to the Stranger by Albert Camus (I think I've read that book about five times. Top 10 favorites).
We'll see how I feel after I finish it.


No comments:

Post a Comment