Pages

10.27.2014

The Artist and His Instruments

I've been spending a lot of time in my sketchbook lately, drawing out different ideas. Doodling to my heart's content.
Yesterday I was reading in 1Corinthians. In Chapter six verse fifteen Paul asks, "Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ?" Our bodies are not our own. They do not belong to us. 

 Which reminded me about how we're instruments in the Lord's hands.

An artist will work with many different kinds of instruments to create a piece of art. Each instrument works in different ways. The chisel is different from the pencil, which is different from the paintbrush. And there are so many different kinds of paintbrushes! Each one also affects the outcome/effect of the work. Sometimes however, the instrument will fail. The pencil lead will break, but it can always be resharpened by the Artist. An effective work of art can evoke a deep emotional response. It can make you feel happy, content, make you smile, want to cry etc. It has the power to change hearts and minds. 
Our Heavenly Father is the Artist and we are His instruments. Each one of us has something different to offer and we all work in different ways. 



As I was making this illustration I was thinking about how much I learn from each piece I work on. I learn different ways to use a colored pencil...or if I'm painting I learn how to use color more effectively. I am reminded that patience is key and that sometimes it's okay to just start over on a clean sheet of paper. If I become so involved in one particular part of my drawing, I can sometimes forget about the work as a whole.
I think it's the same outside the world of art--if we are so involved in ourselves, or on one particular aspect of our life, we can forget out the bigger picture. We forget about others. We can't be there for them (serve them, love them etc) in the way that they need-which in turn helps us to become the best version of ourselves.
This analogy is one that I've thought a lot about over the last few years. I had forgotten about it until I read over that scripture yesterday. It was a great reminder to me that I am not my own-that there is a purpose for everything.

It also gave me a great idea for a new illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment